burger chute

Friday, March 24, 2006

Bad uncle

I'm literally the worst.

My nephew Miles (2 of 2) turned 13 sometime this week - I completely forgot.

My mother called today to tell me this, followed by my sister, and still I have yet to wish him a happy birthday or give him a present or anything.

It's not that I don't like the little tyke, he's okay and that - and not the most annoying kid in the world (although he does his best to compete for that title), it's just I am tired from over working, I still have a bad back, I'm totally skint from having taken a massive pay drop in an attempt to career adjust and I'm horribly selfish.

So there you see, it's not really my fault.

Trouble is, this is the 2nd year in a row I've done this.

But I'm not a terrible uncle - it's not like I beat him, or steal his things to buy crack or touch him in private places when his mums not looking. In fact set against this criteria I'm quite a decent uncle.

I play computer games with him (I never let the little shit win though - I don't want him to get an unrealistic sense of competition), I've introduced him to the best comics, the best films the best music.

I'm a cool old uncle.

Well, at least I reckon I am.

And, I haven't got any kids of my own so even though he's now a teen, he's the only kid I have anytime for.

How good an uncle am I?


2 Comments:

At 2:59 AM, Blogger Sniffy said...

So long as you're there for him, that's the main thing. I'm sure he'll understand.

And then you'll be taking him out drinking soon enough and carrying him home while he's throwing up over your shoes. He'll thank you enough then, you don't need to do anything in the meantime.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Josh Walwyn said...

umm you wrote this post 3 days after his birthday, am i right richard?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home